Tuesday, May 24, 2011

May: Owen Rides His Bike

Owen finally learned to ride his bike with training wheels this month!  It was a gift from Aunt Meg and Uncle James for his 3rd birthday.  On the day he got it he let James and Daddy push him from behind while he rode.  He couldn't quite reach the pedals enough to get momentum, so we tried every now and then to get him to ride it.  He got to the point where he refused to ride it because he was scared to.  So Tyson heard about a balance bike without pedals that allows kids to push it with their feet much like a scooter.  Tyson's parents bought it for Owen for his 4th birthday.  He loved it and gained more confidence every time he rode it.  Sadly he started to outgrow the balance bike early this spring.  So we started talking to him about giving his pedal bike another try.  He said that he was still scared to ride it because he might fall.  Our little risk taker! 

Earlier this month we went to our friends Jeremy and Amy's home for dinner.  After dinner their son Logan (6) whom Owen looks up to so much, took a ride on his bike sans training wheels.  We all made a big deal out of Logan's new talent and Owen took note.  The next day I took the kids to Walmart to do some shopping. We were in the toy section and came across the bike aisle. Without any prompting from me Owen found a pedal bike just like his at home and started riding it effortlessly up and down the aisle.  I was shocked and so excited for him!  Kate of course wanted to try as well so I got a "bink bike" as she called it, aka a pink bike,  down for her to sit on. I'm sure I looked like a crazy mama, but I pulled out my phone and started taking pictures.


When Tyson got home from work that night Owen asked if we could take a walk so he could ride his "new" bike with pedals.  He's been riding ever since. Thanks Logan for being Owen's hero and for teaching him to ride his bike!

No comments:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers